Under the Dentist Act, 1948, the Dental Council of India is entitled with the responsibility for according recognition to the Dental Degrees awarded by the various Universities
and also for maintaining uniform standards of dental education in the country. The Council inspects the various dental Institutions and brings the deficiencies observed
to the notice of the authorities concerned for suitable remedial action
The aim and objective of the Dental curriculum is to produce a Dentist who is socially acceptable and is able to work safely and effectively on patients in diagnosis, prevention
and treatment of dental and oral diseases and to maintain uniformity in standards, technical and clinical requirements
Scope of Dental Courses in India
Dentistry careers are available in the form of medicine dentists and aesthetic dentistry. Aesthetic dentistry deals in the external appearance of teeth and their
alignment. In medical dentistry, focus is on ailments of teeth and gums and their treatments. Both types of dentists are employed by hospitals, and nursing homes.
Many qualified dentists take up teaching assignments in dental colleges. However, most dentists set up their own chambers and dentistry facilities.
Scope of Dental Courses Outside India
Candidates undergoing dentistry courses in India might get lucrative placement in overseas dental hospitals, treatment centers, and nursing homes. They could also set up
their independent dentistry facilities in foreign cities and towns.
CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION TO B D S COURSE
Eligibility criteria as recommended by DCI * -Open category
* For Specific details please refer to the Website/brochure of the particular institution
- >> The candidate has to complete the age of 17 years at the time of admission or will complete this age on 31st December of the year of his admission
- >> Should have passed the two years Intermediate or equivalent course thereof with Science subjects, viz. Physics, Chemistry and Biology from a recognized Indian University or Pre-University Intermediate Board
- >> B.Sc. (Part I) Examination of an Indian University as laid down by the University Grants Commission (U.G.C.)
- >> The candidate should have secured not less than 50% of marks on the aggregate of the above subjects in the qualifying or competitive examination conducted on similar lines as the qualifying examination conducted by a competitive body.
Duration of the Course
Duration of the B.D.S. Course will be four calendar years, followed by one year paid rotating Internship in the Dental Colleges. For MBBS degree holder the duration of the
course will be two years.
Selection of Students:
The selection of students to a Dental College is based solely on merit of the candidate
SUBJECTS OF STUDY DURING THE COURSE (includes specializations)
- >> In State, having only one dental College and one University/Board/Examining Body conducting the qualifying examination, the marks obtained at such qualifying examination be taken into consideration, exception being MBBS degree holders.)
- >> In States, having more than one University/Board/Examining Body conducting the qualifying examination (or where there are more than one Dental College under the administrative/control of one authority), a competitive entrance examination will be held so as to achieve a uniform evaluation due to the variation of the standard of qualifying examinations conducted by different agencies.
- >> A competitive entrance examination in the case of Institutions of all India character.
Higher Study Options
- >> General Human Physiology and Biochemistry
- >> General Human Anatomy
- >> Dental Materials
- >> General Pathology and Microbiology
- >> General and Dental Pharmacology
- >> Oral Anatomy, Histology and Physiology
- >> General Medicine
- >> General Surgery
- >> Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- >> Orthodontics
- >> Periodontics
- >> Pedodontics
- >> Prosthodontics & Crown & Bridge
- >> Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- >> Oral Surgery, Local Anaesthesia & General Anaesthesia
- >> Oral Medicine and Roentgenology
- >> Community Dentistry
After BDS one can opt for MDS which is having three year duration.